In this issue:
1. Tuesday: August 3, 2004 Youth Development Running Series presented by The Raritan Valley Road Runners For Children 13 Years and Under
Registration: 5:00-5:45 PM
optional stretch starts at 5:45 PM, THE FIRST RUN, THE QUARTER MILER, STARTS PROMPTLY AT 6:00PM (rain or shine) 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile , 1 mile or 50 yd. lollipop Bring your children and grandchildren
Place: Donaldson Park, Grove 1 (at the foot of South 3 rd Ave, Highland Park, New Jersey).
Refreshments (pizza, ice cream, water, and Gatorade) are available for all children after the run.
Entry Fees: $5.00 per child per run.
7pm- 5k cross-country Running race for 13 and over.
For Additional Information: Check website at www.rvrr.org.
2. Friday, August 6 7pm Friends of Cynthia Vercammen are invited to her Annual SUMMER BLAST at Ireland Brook Dr. Adults only
3. August 11 6:30 "Dead" [formerly Grateful Dead] PNC Art Center, Holmdel. If you are attending, email back
4. Recent court cases: Resisting arrest does not require risk of substantial injury. State v. Brannon __ NJ __ A-96 ( 2004).
Based on the legislative history and text of N.J.S.A. 2C:29-2a(3)(a), the "physical force or violence" necessary for a third degree resisting arrest conviction need not include a substantial risk of causing physical injury to police officers or others. Source: New Jersey Lawyer March 15, 2004 p. 16
5. Judge must advise DWI defendant of the range of punishments prior to plea. Iowa v. Tovar __ US __ 02-1541 (U.S. Supreme Court, Decided March 8, 2004).
The Sixth Amendment is satisfied when the trial court informs the accused of the nature of the charges against him, of his right to be counseled regarding his plea, and of the range of allowable punishments attendant on the entry of a guilty plea. Source: 175 N.J.L.J. 1376
6. The Hand Delivery of This Letter To Ex-Wife Is Not 'Harassment'. Bresocnik v. Gallegos 367 NJ Super. 178 (App. Div. 2004).
Having a letter hand-delivered to a former spouse at her place of employment, an elementary school, does not constitute harassment within the meaning of N.J.S.A. 2C:33-4(a). The content of the letter was legally innocuous. The Prevention of Domestic Violence Act is not intended to interdict all forms of unpleasant exchanges between parties. Its serious and laudable purposes should not be trivialized.
Thank you for reading our newsletter! God Bless America USA #1
Kenneth Vercammen, Esq.
2053 Woodbridge Ave.
Edison, NJ 08817
NEW PHONE 732-572-0500
New (Fax) 732-572-0030
Editor's Note and Disclaimer: All materials Copyright 2004. You may pass along the information on the NJ Laws Newsletter and website, provided the name and address of the Law Office is included.
Always schedule an office appointment with an experienced attorney when you have a legal matter. The Rules of Court limit an attorney's ability to discuss matters over the phone. If you have legal questions, you should schedule an in- office consultation.
Removals handled by webmaster lonekeep.com. To remove, email back & type in subject remove. Removals are performed by the webmaster once per month.