NJ Laws Email Newsletter E403Kenneth Vercammen, Attorney at Law
August 15, 2012
Office Phone Number:
www.njlaws.comIn This Issue:Recent Cases:1. Police CouldSearch Car Involvedin Robbery Withouta Warrant.2. No Jail ForCareless DrivingUnless Finding of Aggravating Circumstances.3. New YouTubeVideos for this Week.4. Super Lawyers: Nominations Openfor New JerseySuper Lawyers.5. We had a greattime at the Annual Summer BlastHappy Hour onJuly 20th.6. UpcomingCharity Racesand CommunityEvents
1. Police Could Search Car Involved in Robbery Without a Warrant. State v. Minitee 210 NJ 307 (2012)Under the circumstances of this case, the trial court correctly denied the defendant's motion to suppress because the warrantless search of the SUV that was involved in the robbery fit within the scope of the automobile exception to the search warrant requirement.2. No Jail For Careless Driving Unless Finding of Aggravating Circumstances. State v. Palma 426 NJ Super. 510 (App. Div. 2012)On appeal from a trial de novo in the Law Division, the court reversed and remanded for resentencing consistent with the principles established in State v. Moran, 202 N.J. 311 (2010). The court holds that the imposition of a custodial sentence for careless driving, N.J.S.A. 39:4-97, requires a finding of aggravating circumstances evincing as "a matter of degree" more than mere carelessness, and that the tragic death of the victim, resulting from a motor vehicle violation, is not dispositive of whether a custodial sentence is appropriate under the circumstances.3. New YouTube Videos for this Weekhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z6R1Jff7Wkhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37D4QRqJO_44. Super Lawyers: Nominations Open for New Jersey Super Lawyers
The selection process for New Jersey Super Lawyers and Rising Stars 2013 is underway. Attorneys must Nominate & Update your information by August 29th.
- Click here now to nominate at my.superlawyers.com.
- Why? Because when attorneys update practice information, it puts them on Superlawyer's system - their research department will review your background, experience and credentials as part of their selection process.
- New this year: RATE and COMMENT on the peers you nominate.Coming in April 2013:
- New Jersey Super Lawyers magazine - Distributed to lawyers in New Jersey
- Online at www.superlawyers.com5. We had a great time at the Annual Summer Blast Happy Hour on July 20th. Thanks to Bar Anticipation's manager Johnny B who helped organize the event for about 100 attendees.Kenneth Vercammen, Esq. has been having social events and participating in Bar Anticipation activities for over 20 decades. We appreciate the generosity of co-owners Reggie Hyde, Pat Mastroli, and Tom Jannerone. Additional thanks to original Summer Blast attendees, Chris Knigge and Mark Dell who helped set up, photographer Tony D, and Jersey Shore Runner's Club who helped promote. Many attendees donated canned goods donated to the St. James Food Bank.Photos will be added to Facebook next week.We look forward to seeing you and all your friends at our Christmas happy hour December 7, again at Bar A.
6. Charity Races and Community EventsAugust 18, 2012 Bradley Beach 5k co-Sponsor Wakefern Shoprite 8:30 Prior to 5k race join us at 6:45 for 700 yard swim, then 15 mile bike. After the 5k, off to Darcy Tavern for a quick pint, then off to the Rumson Hash Monmouth Park Trail run [not a race , a 3-4 group run at 10:17am [Do the Triple & go to all three events]August 19, 2012 Ray Licata Long Branch Ocean Mile Swim 1 mile 8am [If you swim fast enough you can still run the 9am 5kAugust 19, 2012 McCormack 5k Bar A 9am free foodAugust 24, 2012 - not a Race- Friday, August 24 Annual WFAN Day with Mike Francesa and Special Musical Guest, THE SMITHEREENS! Starts at Noon. Free admission!August 26, 2012 CJRR Fall Classic 8:30 Cranford co-Sponsor Wakefern ShopriteAugust 28, 2012 JSRC meeting & BBQ Deal firehouse 7:15More races at:Raritan Valley Road Runners www.rvrr.orgJersey Shore Running Club www.jsrc.orgFreehold Area Running Club www.farcnj.comCentral Jersey Road Runners www.cjrrc.orgMetro Race Forum www.raceforum.com