E365 1. Kenneth Vercammen and John Menzel were included in the 2011 “Super Lawyers”
2. Hearsay not admissible at trial.
3. Charity & Community Events
4. April is National Donate Life Month- Organ Donation
5. Join the Edison Community Pool
6. Free Atlantic Reporter books
7. Tables available to borrow.
1. Kenneth Vercammen and John Menzel were included in the 2011 “Super Lawyers” list published by Thomson Reuters and New Jersey Monthly. Of over 79,000 attorneys in New Jersey, only five were selected as Super Lawyers in the Criminal Law- DWI category.
HOW SUPER LAWYERS ARE SELECTED
Bar associations and courts across the country have recognized the legitimacy of the Super Lawyers selection process. Most recently, the New Jersey Supreme Court upheld the findings of a Special Master assigned by the court to, among other things, examine the details of our process. The Special Master report stated:
“[The Super Lawyers selection process] is a comprehensive, good-faith and detailed attempt to produce a list of lawyers that have attained high peer recognition, meet ethical standards, and have demonstrated some degree of achievement in their field."
"Suffice to say, the selection procedures employed by [Super Lawyers] are very sophisticated, comprehensive and complex."
“It is absolutely clear from this record that [Super Lawyers does] not permit a lawyer to buy one’s way onto the list, nor is there any requirement for the purchase of any product for inclusion in the lists or any quid pro quo of any kind or nature associated with the evaluation and listing of an attorney or in the subsequent advertising of one’s inclusion in the lists.”
Super Lawyers selects attorneys using a rigorous, multiphase process. Peer nominations and evaluations are combined with third party research. Each candidate is evaluated on 12 indicators of peer recognition and professional achievement. Selections are made on an annual, state-by-state basis.
The objective is to create a credible, comprehensive and diverse listing of outstanding attorneys that can be used as a resource for attorneys and consumers searching for legal counsel. Since Super Lawyers is intended to be used as an aid in the selection of a lawyer, we limit the list to attorneys who can be hired and retained by the public, i.e., lawyers in private practice and Legal Aid attorneys.
Only 5 percent of the lawyers in each state or region are named Super Lawyers.
2. Hearsay not admissible at trial. State v McLaughlin _____ NJ _____ (2011) A-68-09
Because the state of mind of the declarant of the hearsay offered here was not directly relevant to the prosecution of defendant and the hearsay statement itself, without redaction, imputed to defendant the
intent to commit a crime, its admission was error.
3. Charity & Community Events - You don’t need to run. You can bicycle to events and volunteer
Saturday, April 2, Fools Run 5k 11am Manasquan, NJ
April 3, 2011 Indian Trails 15k, 5k 9am Middletown [Ken V is past winner] After race, go to On The Deck Located in Atlantic Highlands, On The Deck offers indoor and outdoor dining with spectacular views of the Shrewsbury River, Gateway National Park and the New York City skyline all year round. 2 Simon Lake Drive Atlantic Highlands, NJ 07716-1259 approx 6 minutes away
4/9/11 Brick Beach to Bay 5k
4/ 9/11 Run w Eagles 5k Allentown 10am
4/16, 2011 Runapoloza Jersey Shore Relay For Special Olympics 5,4,3,2,1 teams 26 miles, 9am From Seaside Hts To Asbury Park 732-681-9464 free beer! If you cant run, you can volunteer or pay to go to party
4/23/11 Celtic Tribute 5K with the JSRC Kid’s Races and Nephcure Foundation 2-Mile Family Walk 11:00 start, Long Branch, NJ www.celtictribute5k.com
Pre-registration entry fee is $20 thru April 18.
Contact info: 732-571-2162, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Benefits the PBA Local No. 10, Scholarship Fund and Nephcure Foundation.
Event includes 5-year age group awards, Law Enforcement and PBA awards, 2-Mile Family Walk, Kids Races. Random Prizes and great post race party.
4. April is National Donate Life Month- Organ Donation
While New Jersey Organ and Tissue Sharing Network (NJ Sharing Network) works to educate New Jersey residents year round about the critical need for more organ and tissue donors, the month of April, associated with renewal and spring, is also National Donate Life Month.
Established in 2003, the month features local, regional and national educational activities designed to encourage Americans to become organ and tissue donors. We recommend all NJ citizens between 18 and 80 have a Living Will/ Advance Directive prepared. Select organ donation in your Living Will.
Nationally, more than 110,000 people wait for a life-saving transplant—close to 5,000 of them are here in New Jersey. For many, tragically, the gift will never be received. Nearly 6,000 people die a year – about 18 per day – awaiting the gift of life.
One of the most important life-saving decisions you can make is to become a registered donor. Say “yes” to donation on your New Jersey driver license or state ID when you first apply for and each time you renew. The words “Organ Donor” will appear on the front of your license and will be included in your computer record with the Motor Vehicle Commission. Not renewing anytime soon? You can register online today by visiting
www.sharenj.org. NJ Sharing Network is a non-profit, federally designated organization responsible for the recovery and placement of donated organs and tissue for New Jersey residents in need of life-saving transplants. For
information about donation and transplantation in NJ, contact us at 1-800-SHARE-NJ or email@example.com
5. Join the Edison Community Pool now and save!
The Metuchen Branch YMCA and the Edison Elks are once again pleased to co-sponsor the Edison Community Pool, located on Old Post Road in Edison. They look forward to serving the South Edison Community and surrounding areas this summer, 2011.
The newly renovated Edison Community Pool located on Old Post Road in South Edison is surrounded by a wooded picnic area. The facility boasts a 25-yard, 4-lane pool, water slide and a kiddie pool for youngsters. Bathrooms with showers and a snack area with vending machines are conveniently located around the pool area. A sand-filled volleyball court, basketball courts and playground make this swim club a place for family fun.
Dates and Hours of Operation
The Pool opens on weekends only from May 28 through June 16- Hours Sat. 11am-8pm and Sun.12-8pm
The pool will be open fro the summer starting June 16 through Labor Day
Open House- May 14 from 12-2pm.
Last years Elks Community Pool members save if registered by April 30
Also available this year swim lessons for children ages 4-6 and 7-10.
6. Free Atlantic Reporter books- All the New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Delaware cases Atlantic 2d Vol. 100- 408 [up to 1980] We need to make space for more computers in the office, so we are getting rid of all our Atlantic 2d books. Call this week if you want to pick up 732-572-0500
7. Tables available to borrow. Having a party, First Communion, Graduation?- Friends can borrow our Folding Tables, wooden folding chairs, outdoor tarp/ tent 8 x 8, steam trays, coolers. I had my first summer party back when I was in college. I have accumulated tables and other social event items. We keep these tables, etc in the garage at the law office. If you want to borrow, just call office to arrange time to pick up. Just bring back clean and don’t break them. 732-572-0500